1. A traceroute is the tracking of a packet sent to a server. During its route, this packet goes through several network devices (routers, firewalls etc.) and then finally reaches the server. With the traceroute, you can see the IP as well as the response time between each barrier (router, firewall...).
2. To do a traceroute, open the terminal
- Windows: Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Line
- Linux ou Mac: Applications > Utilities > Terminal
3. Type the following command, with an IP address or a domain name:
- Windows: tracert domain.name
- Linux ou Mac: traceroute domain.name
4. Copy and paste the traceroute that will appear on the screen.